Friday, October 15, 2010

Hokey Pokey and what is it all about?

  I have a new and deeper respect for teachers of older children.  By older I mean above age 5 as my experience has almost always been with infants to 5 years old.  I know it's complicated by the fact that I don't speak their language, I do work with a Khmer teacher.  Well he's never really taught and his English is not that great.  You may recall I was working with a Khmer who had good English and some experience.  This is the morning class I'm speaking of now.  The biggest challenge is to get the kid's undivided attention or at at least their divided attention.  They like to talk, poke, play and stare off in any direction but the teachers'.  And they like to leave their seats.  I am trying through my fellow teacher to impose some rules and to have rewards for appropriate behavior.  I think I'm having some success but I am impatient and want results quickly.  I have to chill out and realize the morning kids have most likely not been in a classroom ever or been to a daycare/preschool where they could have experienced some structure.  Add to that that there seems to be a new kid every other day and kids gone from one day to the next.

   It sounds like I'm complaining and not adjusting and not enjoying my experience.  It's certainly frustrating at times and challenging me in new ways.  I feel stymied and confused often and keep trying to figure out what approach I should use but I am enjoying the experience as a whole.  And the kids are what keep me going back, because I do wholly enjoy them and they seem to eat up the classroom experiences once I get their attention.  I do see progress in what we're teaching, I do see they are learning.

  What is most difficult is when kids who we've worked with and you can see progress happening, suddenly they are not in class anymore.  One particular girl, Lea, who came out of her shell is gone.  What happened to her, where is she I wonder?

  So now I am struggling with how to make learning fun for them and make sure they are actually learning.  And as they are learning how do I teach them social skills and build in them those characteristics that will benefit them in the long run.  Yes FR folks I'm talking Heartstart, others can google Heartstart to know what I'm referring to.  I'll get there and keep telling myself that patience is a virtue.

  I have to say I am doing what I hoped I could which was work more directly with young children.  In my job in the states I got away from that a bit by doing more managerial work and group work for the past several years.  I enjoyed doing that and glad I did but I did miss the more direct, sustained contact with children.  So I've been introducing and singing many different songs with the kids.  I think it's a great way to learn English.  And the kids remember the songs requesting them in both the morning and afternoon classes.  Hokey Pokey is a favorite and the Khmer teachers seem to get a kick out of it also.  It always makes me think of my FR workmate Sarah who had a bumper sticker that said  'What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?'  And the kids love books read to them, I just don't have enough.  Hey FR you've got tons!  Can you spare some Eric Carle type books?  

   So I've been preoccupied somewhat with my 'job' at the school but we certainly get social time with folks here, both Cambodians and expats from different places around the world.  I feel lucky and am still excited and loving being here.   I am also eating well but unfortunately no tennis playing, I played once and did find a cheap place to play.  I just have to light fires under the folks here who have said they wanted to get on a court.  I guess I'm back at telling myself  'patience my son'.



 

 

1 comment:

Jess said...

Yeah, what is it all about?

That is certainly the question of the month, isn't it?