Monday, August 30, 2010

Pleasant weather and bikes

  Hello,  I always feel like ‘why should I post?’  when Jess’s postings tell it all and are so rich.  She’s such a good writer.  And please I’m not soliciting for compliments on my writing.  ‘It is what it is’ as is said these days.  In any case here goes. 
  First of  I find it very amusing that after telling everyone how hot it will be here that it’s been somewhat pleasant most days.  The amusing part is that it’s been hotter in Burlington, Vt.  There have been very refreshing breezes and a bit cloudy.  Sure it’s hot but not scorching and not really that humid.  And Jaz tells us it will be getting cooler.  I like the heat but I’ll take a little respite as I know how hot and humid it can and will get. 
  
  We’ve seemed to have accomplished 2 basic goals pretty quickly, found a place and bought bikes.  Jess got an interesting bike, it has a rubber belt for it’s chain.  Anyone ever hear of that?  Well it won’t rust at least, just looks odd.  I so look forward to getting around on a bike and love not having a car, I may have mentioned that already.  Sorry it just so exciting not to have a car and all that goes with it. 
  It’s been great hanging out with Jaz and she invited us to have dinner with her 2 best buddies at a little place owned by some other friends.  It was wonderful talking to her friends who are very nice and are hard working students and have jobs also.  She’s made a lot of friends here so it was cool watching her have fun with them.  She’s so very social, and I’m glad she seems to have a real social network here similar to her Vt. circle of friends.  
  We’ve only been here a few days as mentioned so I haven’t really tried any unusual foods.  I expect to eventually  and to cook some new and different foods.  Well  Jess and I did split a cheeseburger, out of curiosity, at Lucky Burger (a McD. Clone) at the Lucky Mall.  L M is the one and only Western style mall.  Not a lot of stores but a supermarket, electronics store and some clothes stores.  It has a gelato stand that’s good!  The supermarket has some interesting items, I liked the prepackaged ingredients for a stir fry meal.  Easily for 2 for @ 2-3 bucks.  And I was able to find peanut butter, the good kind w/ just peanuts, no sugar or ‘bad’ oils.  This is a 3rd world country but there does seem to be a growing ‘middle class’, so many items are there that you would see at home.  It’s all very interesting as there is crushing poverty a short bike ride from the mall. 
  Today I think I will get a haircut for the 1st time in almost 2 decades from someone other than Jess.  It will be about 2-3 bucks and I believe will include a shave.  I don’t think anyone ever shaved my face or for the record any other part of my body.  It’s good to support the local economy.  And perhaps we’ll see about some volunteer work today also.  We do have to stock the house we’re about to rent, it’s partially furnished and I certainly need cookware.  So that’s a mission also. 
  I did write about the house we’re about to rent but in deference to Jess keeping that under our hats I will wait to post about that.  Bye for now, Steve 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

steve, I'm so curious about this house you've rented. You both are building up the tension, we can't wait to see the pics and details. A bicycle with a rubber chain? Who knew, but drive belts are made out of rubber or plastic, so why not...cool

Steve said...

Hi Meda, Yes it's Jess that is being so suspenseful about the house. For now suffice to say we love it. A friend back home says the belt driven bikes are cutting edge and getting more popular. That Jess is so COOL.

Steve said...

PS Yay! Thanks for commenting.

Jess said...

Steve, While you said "I haven’t really tried any unusual foods" I feel compelled to point out that you passed on the opportunity to eat spiders. Let's go down to the market this evening for some crickets!