Friday, September 10, 2010

'Work' and Play

    Well it’s been a week since I last posted though it seems much longer.   I feel like I’ve been busy.  We’re still buying some things for our home however it does feel like we’re settled in.  Settled in enough where I’ve been able to cook a few meals.  Nothing unusual yet:  risotto, homemade salsa and Asian stirfry w/ familiar ingredients.  I did try fried crickets at the training restaurant where I’m putting some time in.  Oh yes I’ll get to that.  They were very good I will certainly not be shy about eating them again. 


  Jess and I went this past Tuesday to talk to the folks at New Hope www.newhopecambodia.com   The website explains who they are and all that they do. Actually not all as just 2 months ago they started a training restaurant. So after talking to the Kim Sour a 29 yr. old Khmer man who started the organization and the Australian woman, Kerry, who came on shortly after the start-up, we decided it would be a good fit for us to volunteer for them.   Jess will be doing what she does best coordinating/organizing the services at the medical clinic including at least some hands on work.  And I will be working in the young children’s program, more on that to come.  I’ll also be helping in their new restaurant training venture, mostly the front of the house but maybe the kitchen also.  Hmmm isn’t that very similar to what we did at home?  Well yes it is.  No wonder there is this feeling of familiarity here and not such a feeling of a dramatic shift to an exotic place.  But of course in many ways our work looks very different. 

      We started the next day.  Jess  is working with an English doctor who has been here a few months, very nice dedicated young guy.  He seemed thrilled to have someone to start putting systems in place and organize the clinic.  Actually when we first started talking to him he seemed overwhelmed and frustrated and stated he didn’t know how much longer he could stay on.  Personally after a couple days with Jess I think he wants to see it through a bit longer as they  seemed to be on the same page as to what should be in place.  (Ahh I was correct after I wrote the previous sentence I found out the Doc told Jess he is only staying on because she came on board).  Jess has already visited the hospital and worked ‘overtime’ because the need was so great yesterday.  But I know Jess in this short time is really loving it.  She is Ms. Organization after all and what a great opportunity to put those skills to work.   

  And I am still getting my feet wet with the young children.  I am working with the youngest  group of children.  My guess is 4-6yr olds, I know a little old for what I normally prefer but they grow them small here.  It’s a beautiful group of about 25-30 kids.  I work with a 25 year old guy, Ritha, who I like a lot.  His English is good and he’s a nice mellow guy.  Of course he’s never worked with such young children, I think for a short time he worked teaching older kids.  He’s a student and was a waiter for a few months till they screwed him on his pay, apparently a common occurrance.  He actually works as one in the training restaurant for lunches and is in school evenings I believe. 

  I don’t want to come off as a Westerner, in Jess’s case too, as know it alls and are going to implement  our ways of doing things because we know better.   I’m trying to be culturally sensitive and at the same time offer suggestions.  The class has only been up and running for 2 months, and honestly I don’t know how Ritha has managed w/o being totally frustrated.  He’s done well.  Here’s the reasons.  The classroom is a hut, which is fine except that it’s too small for so many kids.  There are some plastic tables and chairs but mostly mats.  So if you want to walk around the classroom you have to be careful not to step on any children.  Not a surprise that supplies are limited, and Ritha told me kids/students? come in and take them from the unlocked cabinet.  And by supplies I just mean paper and crayons/pencils.   And the skill levels of the kids vary not surprisingly because of the age differences and the instruction some of them have received already.  So as Ritha is trying to get the kids to pay attention, some do, many are up and down, poking their close quarters neighbors and talking.  It’s quite the scene, I am used to chaos but at the Family Room it was organized chaos. 

  So academics (English, math) are taught w/ worksheets (not enough) and clearly some kids have no clue about #’s, colors, letters.  There is time for songs/rhymes and drawing w/ a tub of badly broken crayons .  Of course this is the most fun for the kids and when they pretty much pay attention.   Ritha also had a lesson where he was teaching them, “morals”.  Which turned out to be about politeness, ‘please, thank you, sorry etc…..  In Khmer of course and he did well.  Yet it is a constant challenge to get kids to sit and listen.  It’s just a morning class 5 days a week.  So after a day and a half I had ideas/suggestions.   After I wrote this I found out more.  (Again this is what happens when I write and don’t post and more info is found out.)  

    The reason the class is such a mix is because a class above this one had too many kids so they put them in this class.  And the reason there was an excess of kids is because public school is out and some of those kids came to the school.  The public school starts in Oct.  So perhaps there is a chance the challenges will be lessened.  In any case I did talk to Ritha about splitting the kids up by ability and of course I will take the younger less skilled kids.  So I made playdough, which Jaz will bring into her class also.  Her and I also bought crayons, paper, clay and chalk.  The Khmer teacher was fine with my suggestions and agreed it will make it easier all around and the kids will hopefully learn better. 

    Oh I didn’t mention that the second day I introduced a couple of new songs including ‘wheels on the bus’ (they know ‘when you’re happy….’ and twinkle….l’l star’) and Ritha translated.  We had the kids attention and they got quite a kick out of the teacher (me ) being so animated.  Khmer teachers really don’t get too silly.  I also brought in some story books which I read and Ritha translated them also.  It was  good day.  Looking forward to Monday!

  The restaurant is just getting off the ground and right now it’s just for the tour groups of @ 15 people and a set menu.  So there is some training I could do and there was talk about having an Italian and/or Mex night and invite other NGO folks to generate a little cash.  The cook is very good but I believe is only versed in Asian cooking,  She’s is talented so I could be wrong.  Really nice young woman.    We’ll see what happens.  I also hope and I think it’s a real possibility that I can do some outreach.  Looking forward to all the possibilities. 

  So that’s the ‘work’ stuff but we are also having fun.  Eating, drinking,  meeting folks.  We’re having dinner tonight with a friend of Jaz’s from Hungary who works for an NGO at one of the schools that the Ponheary Foundation supports, the family we know.   We’ve met many Aussies, and of course Cambodians.  There is a possibility for tennis also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  An Australian who volunteers at New Hope, my age plays.   As does a friend of his who is exploring any possibilities.  I also signed up at an expat forum and put out the word ‘tennis anyone?’  I’m crossing my fingers.  In the meantime we ride our bikes everywhere, love it.  And the ride to ‘work’ is 20 minutes one way. 

  We finally got internet hooked up today still waiting on cable tv,  bummer  I’m missing the US Open tennis matches.  Well looking forward to the weekend and getting our place more together.  Till next time

2 comments:

Mim said...

Steve:
You leave and Federer gets beat in the semis.
WTF???????

Steve said...

Ha ha funny, I didn't catch that but may be able to on replay.