Thursday, September 23, 2010

addendum

  Ok I underestimated that l'l guy I mentioned in the last posting.  He can walk (he has an odd cast like thing on one leg) and I think he's smart and capable. If anyone one has read the book 'Stumbling on Happiness' you understand that it emphasizes how we project our own experience of what 'happiness' is on others.  We assume if one is lacking what we consider to be essential to being happy, how can one be happy.  But happiness is difficult to define.
  Today I realized I was doing just that, thinking he could not be happy and was miserable.  He has a delightful smile and when I gave him a book of colors to look at (right before class began) he put down the pen he was biting and starting turning the pages.  Later during break I read the book to him and he was talking about every page, of course I didn't know what he was saying but he seemed to have decent language.  He also was playing this game with his sister that all the kids seemed to play with cards, slapping the ground to make them flip. I think he's got some smarts, I am going to include him in the class activities.  I found out he's 4, so he can learn the basics also. Man I have a lot to learn.
  

2 comments:

wirelessly yours said...

He's such a lovely little guy, we saw a little girl with the same disability (but both her hands and feet were undeveloped) at Mother Teresa of Calcutta's children's home in Phnom Penh. She was very bright and very mobile though and reached up asking to be held by me and then by Ale. It broke my heart when we had to leave her. I also appreciated your reflections on happiness and have been thinking about that all day.
How lovely to see a photo of Marina! I sent her a couple of text messages on her phone but she hasn't replied so she either hasn't received them or I haven't received hers. Could you please tell her I say hi and that I think about her every day. I'm really happy you're exchanging cooking tips, it sounds like so much fun! Best wishes for you all, Gabi from Italy

Steve said...

Hi Gabriella, I'll certainly pass on your hellos to Marina and let her know you texted her. Too bad you're not here to join in on our cooking adventures, we could learn some great tips I'm sure, next visit. Give my best to Allesandro. Take care, Steve