Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rain, tennis and market food

   Ok, like Jess I start a blog and have to pause.  So this is most likely a mish mash, I wonder how that would be translated in Khmer.

   It's 7am and I'm a year older.  That would be 59 or as my very good friend Peter will remind me I'm in my 60th year.   I've always been convinced that I was born under a lucky star and being here further confirms that.  I am indeed lucky, good health, wonderful kids we have and of course there's Jessica.  It's difficult for me to ask for more.  Well actually some building blocks and books for the kids would be great.

  As I was writing this I had a pleasant interruption, my oldest Marissa calling to wish me a Happy Birthday.  Wonderful but I'll have to finish this later, I'm off to the kids.

  Well I did get off to the kids and I couldn't think of a better way to start off my b'day.  I uncharacteristically didn't go in in the afternoon as a torrential downpour was happening.  Fortunately I found out later school was cut short owing to the rain, that is rain in the classroom.  I had a fabulous b'day.  The 7 candles family insisted on coming over and celebrating my day.  How could I refuse, well I couldn't.  They and some other folks came, including our landlord, (the Khmer family from downstairs), Lori and an American young couple here volunteering and a few more Cambodian friends.

   The family brought delicious spring rolls, rice and a cake. Our landlord brought a case of beer!  I made potato/leek/garlic soup (no cream) and tomato bruschetta.  We had a wonderfully interesting time.  We ate , drank, talked and played games.  And the family gave me a cool picture made from bamboo.  I'm lucky.

  A few days ago Marina brought me to a new market, just a few minutes away on the bike.  It's small but packed with fruit, veggies, meat, fish and prepared foods.  I've been there a few times since, both for fresh food but also prepared food.  Oh yes I did buy grilled fish for the b'day party also.  Bargain price as always and yummy.  Ok sorry enough about cheap food, I just can't get over it I guess.  I like this market, smaller, not as hectic and close.

  I had faith that I could find a tennis court to play tennis here, and I did!  I did get on the court and had a great time hitting that little yellow ball around.  The court is not ideal but it's affordable.  The process of finding a  court was interesting.  Jess has a funny bit on her blog about my phone calls once I found the few big hotels that have courts or at least advertise that they do.  So I went to the 3 big, fancy, pricey hotels that I knew had courts.  Two of them were more expensive than my membership in the states, 800-1100 a year.  I lucked out with the 3rd one.  300 a year if I sign up with another person as a couple.  Or 5 dollars each visit with use of the beautiful pool, workout room and 20% off food and drink.  I'm there, there are a few folks here that are ready to play.  Yes I'm excited to get back out there.

   The oppulance in some of these huge hotels amidst the crushing poverty here is mind blowing.  Yet here I am putting money in their coffers.  One of the many inner moral struggles one faces here.

  I am very much enjoying the school.  Unfortunately the Khmer teacher I've been working with, Ratha, is going to be teaching another class.  It's good for him as he likes teaching the older students.  A bummer in the sense that we worked well together and were getting better everyday at it.  The replacement teacher, I'm not sure he's taught before.  I'm told his English is not that good so I would be helping him learn also, hmmm.  He has a sponsor so that he can attend University.  I guess the good thing is it feels like it's my class.  So I can teach how I want to, ah the power of it all.  I better get my shit together though cause with power comes responsibility.  I have to be prepared.  So here comes mistakes, risks, trial and error and hopefully fun and learning.  Wish me luck.

  So that's the morning class, the afternoon class I'm just getting used to.  The teacher a young (21) Khmer, Channa.  She's easygoing and seems to want suggestions from me.  These kids are a bit older and I think we can work well together, her English is very good also.  Looking forward to what develops.

  There is one dark cloud over me now, late on my b'day i got the gift of pink eye, conjunctivitis I believe.  In both eyes, it sucks but at least thru blurry eyes I 'll get this post off.  Till next time.




No comments: